For Immediate Release
Van Gogh Find Yourself (#VGFY)
Written and Performed by Walter DeForest
NYC East to Edinburgh at 59E59 Theatres
4 performances as follows:
Tue. July 12 8:30, Wed. July 13 6:30, Thurs. July 14 8:30, Fri. July 15 8:30.
29th and 30th July Drayton Arms Theatre | 8.00pm
Edinburgh Festival Fringe
6-27 August 2016 14:25 (55 mins) (Except Wednesdays)
“So perfectly Vincent. This one man show features a central performance of great emotional range.” – Theasy.com
In his first Edinburgh fringe show Van Gogh Find Yourself, (#VGFY), NYC based actor, artist, and writer Walter DeForest gives the audience an intimate encounter with Vincent. Experience the passion, humour, and heART of a great artist.
This intriguing interactive portrait play is written and performed by DeForest whose dramaturg is based on scores of letters between Vincent and his brother Theo, and a short memoir written by Adeline Ravoux, which details Van Gogh’s stay in Auvers-sur-Oise.
#vgfy sets the record straight on Vincent’s personal struggle for humanity. Audiences get to spend an afternoon behind the scenes with a great artist, watch him work, and more.
DeForest, who has a striking physical resemblance to Van Gogh, tells Vincent’s side all whilst drawing portraits and conversing with the audience.
Commenting on the show which played to sold out houses at the 2015 FringeNYC , DeForest says about “#vgfy ,”Just as a blank canvas never produces the exact same result, each performance will reveal a unique portrait of Vincent.”
Van Gogh Find Yourself (#VGFY)
Venue Chiquitos Space: Basement
29/31 Frederick Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2ND
Aug 6-27 (Except Weds)
14.25 (55 mins)
ABOUT WALTER DeFOREST
Walter DeForest was born, with a hole in his heart, on Wednesday, July 30th. On July 30th, 1890, Vincent was buried. Vincent had died from a mortal gunshot wound to the chest.
Walter DeForest is a graduate from William Esper Studios and studied improvisation, character work, and writing at The People’s Improv Theatre. Walter starred in the Audience Award winning play Guy Walks Into a Bar by Don Creedon in the 1st Irish NYC Theatre Festival. He also starred in Live in Theatre’s – The Ryan Case 1873, which was Nominated for a Drama Desk Award. Pamela Scott is his acting coach. Walter has no art training or degree and is also self taught as was Vincent.
NOTES TO EDITORS
WALTER DeFOREST (Vincent) PLANNED ACTIVITY
· While in Edinburgh, Vincent hopes to break the Guinness Book of World Records for Most Portraits drawn in 12 hours.
· Find Yourself with Van Gogh! Instagram, twitter and Facebook contest in pubs, museums, and all over Edinburgh.
· Everyone who attends #vgfy gets a free portrait. To obtain the free portrait, simply take a picture of the portrait, Hashtag it #vgfy with an online media post.
· Vincent will touch base with anyone who needs a loving person to talk to while they get a free portrait.
· Previews of #VGFY 29th and 30th July, Drayton Arms Theatre 153 Old Brompton Rd, London SW5 0LJ | 8.00pm
USEFUL NOTES ON VINCENT VAN GOGH
· Self taught, in just over a decade, Vincent produced more than 2,100 artworks, including 860 oil paintings and more than 1,300 watercolours, sketches, and prints.
· The most comprehensive primary source for the understanding of Vincent as an artist and as a man is the collection of over are more than 600 letters between him and his younger brother Theo, who provided his brother with financial and emotional support.
· Theo died six months after Vincent on January 25, 1891, of dementia paralytica, a syphilitic infection of the brain.
· The letters between them were first annotated in 1913 by Theo’s widow, Johanna van Gogh-Bonger, who later said she published with “trepidation: because she did not want the drama in the artist’s life to overshadow his work.”
It is better to be high-spirited even though one makes more mistakes, than to be narrow-minded and all too prudent. Vincent.